Sunday, January 27, 2008

History in the making? Part 1


I am writing this while watching the Buick Open. I am also watching history again. Tiger is about to tie Arnold Palmer for PGA victories at 62. I know it is early, but with a 10 shot lead I am pretty sure he has it wrapped up. The man is amazing and it is a pleasure to watch him work. I was one of those that did not care for him in his early years. I was jealous. I have to admit it. You see, Tiger and I are the same age. I remember playing in junior tournaments with him. I never had the chance to be in the same group or even play in the next group. I dont remember alot of hoopla or press around him. I just remember people talking about how good he was. I have to say that I didnt get a chance to be around to see him hoist any trophies because I played so early that I was back at home before he even finished. A little scoring humor for those that need a laugh. I still have some jealous tendacies while watching him and a few others that I have followed through the years. I am jealous that I didnt have the work ethic or desire to practice and devote my youth to this game. I have always had that extra "talent" that other amatuers didn't have. Too bad I wasted it. I grew up on a golf course and the driving range was two holes away from my house. Maybe I wasn't able to appreciate how fortunate I was to have that in my backyard. As I have gotten older I understand how expensive this sport is and how lucky I was to have two wonderful parents that could afford a country club membership for me to learn the game that I still love. I dont regret alot of things in life but I do regret not devoting every second of my youth on golf. At my age now I have responsibilities and everyday aspects of life like work and bills. Golf takes a backseat to those things. I am now and will probably always be a lifetime amateur. Every now and then I see glimpses of wonder and perfection in my golf swing, maybe a USGA event will get me between the ropes of a PGA event through an amatuer exemption. But until then I will continue to watch the best that will ever play this game do something we all have had dreams of.
Part 2 coming......

No comments: